Scary Sharpening System - Standard SetSCARYSET2
Only available "To Order" - Please Call or Email for availability
Scary Sharpening Abrasive Sheets (PSA) - this industrial product has a superior performance with respect to its wear rate of the grit and backing medium, compared to the original lapping films used for fibre-optic polishing.
We use these abrasive sheets in our furniture workshop and has been very well received by our students - designed for use in the metalwork micro-finishing industry and a far more robust product overall.
Our standard set combines the precision flat surface of our phenolic plate with Shield Technologies Honerite 1 Honing Fluid, a piece of stay put matting and a full set of the abrasive papers.
Scary Sharpening Standard Set consisting of:
- 1 each of the Abrasive papers grades (3u, 9u, 15u, 20u, 40u, 80u)
- 1 float glass plate 250 x 290 x 10mm
- 1 sheet of Stay-Put Matting
- 1 250ml tin of Shield Technology HoneRite No1 Honing Fluid
Shield Technology HoneRite No1 can only be shipped in the UK mainland, due to the flammability of the product.
This industrial sharpening abrasive provides a quick-cutting long lasting very flat sharpening method - it has been on trial in our furniture workshop for the past few years and has become our sharpening method of choice. The precise micron-graded aluminium oxide with a durable film backing has a superior performance with its wear rate of the grit and backing medium to others we have tried.
It was designed for use in the demanding field of metalwork micro-finishing for grinding of cam shafts. The abrasive cutting is quicker, lasts longer and is less prone to tearing during use. This abrasive is available in a selection of grades from 80 micron (180 Grit) to 3 micron (8000 Grit).
The higher the micron or U number; the coarser the grade. Each sheet is 280mm x 230mm and makes approximately 3 strips for scary sharpening tasks. Here's a guide to help you to select the micron size, but you will find how it works best for you with experience.
- 80u - (180 Grit) Black - For removing original grinding marks on new blades or grinding the primary bevel; cleaning or initial lapping of plane soles to remove damage or rust
- 40u - (360 Grit) Blue - Used for flattening new chisels and plane blades (if required) initial primary bevel forming and lapping plane soles
- 20u - (1000 Grit) Red - Great for general secondary bevel and backing off chisels and plane irons
- 15u - (1200 Grit) Orange - Refining secondary bevels on chisels and plane irons and backing off
- 9u - (2500 Grit) Light Blue - Produces micro bevel and backing off chisels, plane irons and knifes; should cut hair but the edge can be improved if required
- 3u - (8000 Grit) Pink - A very fine lapping film , gives a polished edge to your tools
You may wish to use this fine edge for your general woodworking or improve it further by using a leather strop and honing paste or move over to 3M lapping films for a final polishing of the edge.