Why choose this course?
This two day practical French polishing course, delivered by a professional polisher with over 35 years’ experience in the trade, is designed for those who are new to staining and re-finishing and those who wish to gain hands-on experience in this specialist field of furniture re-finishing and furniture restoration. The course has been designed to complement the skills of furniture makers/restorers, as well as people who buy or own antique furniture that needs bringing back to life.
The course has an emphasis on the sound understanding and use of traditional French polishes and stains and “touching-in” techniques, including the selection and use of finishing materials.
All equipment, materials and sample boards are provided, but students will need to bring along one or two small items of furniture to re-finish. Suitable items include a side table, chair, stool or box – you will be able to work on one item whilst the other finishes drying.
This specialist course is aimed at students with no previous experience or limited knowledge of French polishing and re-finishing – time is allocated for discussion on stains, fillers, bleaches, polishes and waxes. Small groups ensure plenty of hands-on tuition for every student.
Students are able to try out, test and buy woodworking tools and equipment from Wood Workers Workshop with a 5% discount – try before you buy …
Two-day courses are divided into three disciplines:
- Material identification, preparation and use
- Stripping, staining and colouring up
- French polishing and waxing
What will I achieve?
This short course gives students a thorough grounding in the safe and practical use of traditional wood staining and French polishing techniques, through practical demonstrations and hands-on experience. Students work on a personal re-finishing project under expert guidance, ensuring professional results.
- Induction and Welcome to the School
- Basic Safety Considerations
- Personal safety – Safe use of finishing products
- Materials Used in Traditional Polishing
- Strippers and revivers
- Stains and earth colours
- Grain fillers and filler sticks
- Shellacs and waxes
- Scrapers and abrasive papers
- Wire wools and Mirlon pads
- Pencil brushes and mops
- Fads, Rubbers and waxing pads
- Stripping or reviving
- Grain filling and staining
- Touching in and bodying up
- Spiriting off and waxing
- Health and Safety Equipment Required
- You do not have to bring any tools, equipment or materials with you, as we supply everything you need.
- Please do not get dressed up for the occasion as wood finishing can be a messy job!
- Items to be Polished – Please bring along two small items such as a side table, chair, stool or box etc; if you are unsure about what to bring, please call us on 01684 591014 to discuss their suitability.
To Find Out More...